Friday, December 21, 2007

Island Adventure


I got a great opportunity to help with World Aids Day down in Kalibo on Panay Island earlier this month. We were there to educate high school students on what HIV/AIDS is, how it is contracted and how to prevent it. Roger and I were teammates and descended on a group of 65 in a really far away and beautiful school. We tag teamed the presentation and delivered our vital information. It was interesting because one of the most difficult facts the students had to grasp was that it takes only one time during sexual contact to contract the virus. They just couldn’t or wouldn’t believe this fact. Rather interesting; a little food for thought. It was rather easy to deliver the information because the students really paid attention from the beginning also we played a lot of games and used ice-breakers so it wasn’t boring. We also participated in a march with school bands, students and civic organizations and marched around town. It was great!!!

The next day 10 of us PCV’s headed over to Boracay for a little R&R on a banca boat (a 10 min ride from Panay to Boracay). Now the only reason I even heard about this magical island was because many PCV’s mentioned it but more so in one of the many airports I have strolled through I saw an exquisite picture of a beach with a palm tree and aquamarine water and the name “Boracay” scrolled across it. I figured if the airport is trying to sell me on visiting this place I have to go if my opportunity comes up. It didn’t take long hu? Well what the picture was selling the island produced.

Stephanie and I with a few others were at the beach admiring what luck we had to be there when she expressed her utmost desire to jump in the water fully clothed. Nobody wanted to go in yet as we were famished and heard there was a yummy Mexican restaurant just down the beach when she pulled me in. Thank god the pants and shirt I was wearing did not have pockets or my cell phone might have ended up swimming too. The water was amazing and when my sunglasses fell off my head they were not too difficult to find because the water was so clear. Everyone had a pretty good laugh at us.

Our Mexican lunch was huge! Each meal could have been shared, yes they were American sizes and oh so good also like American Mexican food if that is not an oxymoron for you. I got a combination beef and chicken burrito with refried beans and creamed corn. What was also so nice about where we were there was so many different types of cuisine and by the end of our 2 nights, 3 days I had Indian, Thai, Filippino and of course Mexican. I think Indian is my new favorite because of all the flavors my taste buds experienced and each bite I got to notice some slightly different flavor.

The first night we went dancing at a local club and I think we were all out there dancing our little hearts out. I don’t know if it was because we were just able to let loose or the absorbent amount of alcohol we were consuming but it was probably a combination. I think of the things I really miss from home going dancing is at the top of the list. We rocked out till 3:30am before catching a ride home from the resort service vehicle. The next night was much more relaxed and we got to sample a variety of bars. At the Hobbit House we got a chance to listen to smooth sounds from a woman and her guitar playing cover songs while drinking an imported beer (they had Castle Lager on the menu but were out; I had to settle for a Boddingtons – that was one for my English peeps). We moved onto another easy going outdoor bar while listening to some great Reggae music. For all my fab friends who will visit me do NOT get anything with Red Bull it is not the same at home and I learned the hard way! Next door was a techno beach bar that had the best Mojito’s. I know this is no surprise to you as the reader to know my ability to sniff out a place with good music and tasty drinks.

When I got down really close and actually looked at the sand I was able to understand why the sand has an orange hue to it… there are small specks of red sand mixed in with the yellow and light brown. It was also beautiful to see the green sands speckled giving it further variety. Enjoying the sunsets, hearing the wave’s crash upon the rocks and the natural beauty enveloping me made me feel truly close to the God force and Mom. Getting such a high makes me wonder how truly astounding this island must have been before developers put up resorts and commercialized it. Unfortunately the reef just off the main beach is almost dead but it does still have a few truly beautiful fish swimming in its midst. I got to see a medium sized aquamarine fish with a bright magenta strip lining the top of its back and other colors including deep green, yellow with pink lips. There was another black fish with violet plums hanging around this one corral which held my attention for a good long while. When I was heading back to the boat I noticed a brown and grey eel; I really don’t like them. They remind me too much of Flotsam and Jetsom from the “Little Mermaid” nasty critters. My paradise definitely includes a beach or at least being able to hear the waves and within walking distance from my place.

No comments: