Friday, June 1, 2007

Laundry

I have found my new form of exercise. It is a wonderful household chore, everyone does it but not necessarily the way I have to do it. It is an action I only want to participate in once a week because it is truly backbreaking work. I am talking of doing laundry by hand. First I had to sort my enormous stack of washing, separating it into whites, colors and darks (which we also do in the States so no biggy). I borrowed a big plastic baby bath , scrubber and washing board from the neighbor, situated it in the small bathroom and filled it with water (there are photo's of the bathroom in my pictures section). My host mom has given me a few simple instructions and told me how to do it. The process is pretty simple:

1. Soak all the clothes in the water starting with the whites, colors then darks. Wring them out and refill the bath and add the washing powder. At this point my host mom sees me struggling because I am sitting on the toilet and the bath is so low, and she hands me the little stool.

2. Put the whites in the soapy water swishing them around, pressing them a little. I take the scrubber and an article of clothing and scrub the areas that need the scrubbing i.e. under the arms area of the shirts. Wring the clothes again and try to get most of the water out. I repeat the process with all articles of clothing. Following the washing of all clothes I let out the water and draw a new bath full.

3. I then soaked and swished my clothes in the clean water repeating the process three times.

During the scrubbing part of the laundering I had at least all the children from the compound come behind me, look and laugh about what I was doing. I guess I was also just so funny because I was sweating profusely. It was disgusting! At times during the process I wanted to cut corners by only rinsing twice but Lisa kept popping into my head reminding me I will itch if all the soap is not out of the clothing. Periodically my hands would cramp which I did not think was possible however it did happen. I was discussing the washing of clothes with some other PCV's (Peace Corps Volunteers) and we have decided that doing laundry is a form of working out and it would be counted. My biceps got a great workout and my hands are definitely stronger for doing laundry.

I have a new appreciation for the washing machine. Once I get home I will never abuse this wonderful privilege (I would do a load and then forget about it having to rewash it because it stank). I think I would not wish washing laundry on a consistent basis on an enemy.

No comments: