Friday, September 14, 2007

Singing My Little Heart Out

Okay so I was talking to my dad about how much the Filippino's love to sing and that kareoke or as it is called here "videoke" seems to be a national past time. I LOVE VIDEOKE!!!! I think the best part is that you don't have to be good or bad but just want to do it. My first encounter was during our inital arrival orientation in Manila because the resort or the Peace Corps office brought a videoke machine and we got to sing our little hearts out in the lobby. During this training I was a little shy but during our actual 3 month training I got to videoke at a friends house and boy I did not hold back. They had the machine for a couple days so our compound was hoppin for a while.

Since those two monumental opportunities I have not quite had the pleasure to participate in one of my new favorite past times however I'm told that my current host family has a big family reunion coming up and they will have a videoke machine willing to play all night!!! Watch out neighbors it could get crazy. Anyway there really isn't much difference between the kareoke and videoke except in videoke they have pictures of landscapes in the background so you get to see pretty stuff too. Ian I know you love kareoke and seriously you would love it out here.

Videoke bars are all over the Philippines that are specifically for this purpose. There is videoke just a level above the internet cafe's in my town but it is not the same if you are not doing it with other people. I guess it is the vibe and honestly I'm becoming someone who likes to participate in activities with people more and more. For all my friends at home you know what I'm talking about and that I was just as happy hanging out exploring by myself but this fact has changed. Also some activities you just can't do by yourself for the same effect.

So if anyone comes out to visit be prepared to videoke and you may want to practice a little before you come so any nervous gitters you may have are out of your system.

No comments: