Monday, January 7, 2008

The Questions!!!!

Me and my Host Cousin - Diane at New Years

“Kate, is this your first Christmas (or New Years) without your family? Is it difficult for your family not to have you at home? Don’t you miss them?” These are the questions I have been repeatedly asked this holiday season. It is only because the person asking really cares but at the same time it can be difficult. When it is asked as often as I have received the questions it make me second guess why I would leave such a comfortable situation back home and come to a place so different from home.

Of course spending a major holiday like Christmas or New Years is tough but if I dwell on it I would be on a plane back home and would not be looking back. This is exactly what I want to reply with but it is too callous and would not be good. To leave your home and your family other than for monetary gain is unheard of and crazy. Why would I do such a thing??? I don’t know maybe for the adventure or knowing I could be making a small difference in the world around me. I guess the reason these 3 questions are more difficult for me is that they realize how special and wonderful my family back home is and I must be totally out of my mind to have left. I am a person who has to focus on the positive or I would fall off the wagon. The Christmas season is difficult enough with multiple people leaving this earth around this time, it is my favorite season (and I put up no decorations this year – big mistake) and my compound does not celebrate Christmas. Now that Christmas and New Years is over I figure that by the end of January any residual versions of these 3 questions will cease and I’ve just got to hold out till then. I’m tough, I can do it and still remain perky :-)

Some of the other constant and crazy questions with my responses:

How old are you? 26 and I’m still marriage material.

Are you married? Why not? No, cause I have not found my husband yet.

Would you marry a Filippino? Sure, I would marry any nationality.

Don’t you want to get married? Yes, when I find the right guy (as they chuckle).

Do you know…(a random Filippino) he lives in Arizona (or any other state) let me show you his picture? Hum, I don’t think so.

Where are you going (as you pass someone in the street)? Over there.

Will you help us build our church (the squatters asked)? I have a meeting right now but when I pass by later you can ask me again.

How much rent do you pay? Secreto!!! (Always a good response when it is nobody’s business).

Do you like it here in the Philippines? Yes, I love it!!!

Are you a missionary (the look is quizzical)? Oh no, I’m with the Peace Corps and we have no religious affiliation.

What religion are you? I was “raised” catholic but right now I’m taking a break from religion.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.

Jennifer said...

FYI: The response to "where are you going" when asked by a filipino is "just there" It's like when we ask "how are you" but dont really want to know.